Sunday, May 3, 2015

I love community colleges!

It was National Decision Day for high school seniors on Friday. It inspired me to write about how much I love community colleges.
I will tell you why.
My journey to and through a community college was unusual and involves more than just academics... Here is the story.

I graduated from high school after junior year and went straight to a community college. I was at the top of my class, with a high GPA, honors, awards, and all the works. Going to a community college was not what anyone had in mind looking at my high school years.

But I went to a community college.

The reason why I left early was a mixture of personal circumstances which I won't get into here. And I actually regretted going that route until a couple of months ago.

I was not mature enough to go away to college. I was going to apply to a bunch of schools away from home - far away from home. Living on my own would mean that I would have to balance a very heavy school load, extra-curricular activities (let me spill it to ya: I do not know how to say no), a social life, and taking care of myself in every other aspect that living entails. I was most definitely not ready for it. And one year of high school wouldn't have added much to it considering the previous three years.

I learned so much at a community college.

I learned to take things seriously and I learned that things aren't handed to me - I have to work for it. This is something I heard all the time in high school, but I put none of it to practice until college.

I refined my interests. Only now I can say that I know what I want to do with my life. High school is such a self-centered time of life that you just get a sense of what you want to do. Whether those interests change or not, their reasons will change in college. This is simply because you're exposed to so much more.

I learned my own style of learning. It can be by reading, listening, speaking, singing, drawing, writing, or however else. But you have to know how information is easily stored in your brain.

I learned that things take time. We're often rushed to just finish school, whether we know what we want to study or not. That is not the best way to go. If you don't know what you want to do, why would you waste 40 grand a year to figure it out? Community college classes offer a lot of variety for exploration. And if you started something and didn't like it, don't go on. You have to love what you do. Even if it takes you more than four years.

By no means do I mean "switch majors every time you don't like that specific class you have to take to graduate." That would be like me giving up on medicine because I hated the chemistry classes (I didn't, I actually really like chemistry). I'm not actually going to use chemistry in so much depth in medicine, so why would I give up if it's just a step towards my goal? That calculus class may be hard, but if you love building things and making them come to life, keep going in your engineering pathway! The chemistry class may be ridiculous, but if you love nature and you want to major in Environmental studies, keep at it. I guess I mean to say that I learned perseverance.

With this long post, I don't mean to say that I think high school isn't a great experience. High school is so important in finding who you are. But I do want to emphasize that high school is not enough experience for someone to say "I'm an adult now, I'm moving across the country to go to the university of my dreams."

I had a professor who just worked and "screwed off" (in his own language) for three years after high school before he went on with his education. When he went to college, he began with an AA, then he graduated from a university with two majors and two minors - IN FOUR YEARS. Overall, six years to get all of that. That's a short period of time considering a lot of college students get their single degree in the same amount of time. He took it seriously. What's the difference? He was mature. He had time to experience life farther than just high school. The result was someone who took opportunities as they should be taken.

Students don't take it seriously because they don't see the value in it. It may not be their faults... But they're paying the price for it anyway. College degrees don't guarantee you'll land your dream job. It takes you being serious about your goals. And most high school seniors going off to college in a few months are not ready to take all of it seriously.

The good thing is that college itself - whether at a community college or a university - is a life-lesson. We'll learn whether we want to or not. The difference is the attitude transfer students and freshman have towards education. Freshmen sometimes go to college because they want to live a college life - not necessarily get an education. Transfers have decided that this higher education is what they need, and they've made efforts to get into a university to reach their goals.

One caution tip: I think we should have a cap in the years we stay at a community college. Staying there too long gives you a sense of settlement. Kind of like, "I'm good with an AA, I don't need to go any higher. I mean, I have a job and everything!" I think education is too valuable to be thought of this way. If you can get a Bachelors, get one! And the more you delay it, the more likely it is to acquire this mindset!

Even with this, there are so many benefits to community colleges... I don't think everyone should go to a community college first. There are many high school seniors who can quickly adapt to the college environment beyond the social aspect. But there is absolutely NOTHING wrong with going to a community college first.

So instead of looking down on those who go to a community college, encourage them. Going there is only a step to a larger goal. For some, starting there is a huge step. Congratulate them on their choice the same way you congratulate your friends who chose to go to the big four-years. And continue to cheer them on just as much as - if not more than - those who go straight to a university.

Signed,

B, a grateful community college student.

No comments:

Post a Comment