Thursday, March 5, 2015

Dear younger me (and all tweens and teens)

Earlier this week, Youtube launched a #DearMe campaign in honor of International Women's Day, which will be this Sunday. I won't make an awesome video for it... I thought I'd share my thoughts through written words instead :)

So here it goes.

Dear younger B,

You are so loved, so blessed... and so inexperienced.

Let me tell you...
Life isn't as tough as you think it is. I promise you, it gets better to deal with the lemons life throws at ya (you learn to make some sweet lemonade!).
You don't know better. Listen to others. You're not your own god. That's why God is there: to guide you, to direct you, to shape you into the wonderful young lady He meant for you to be.

Stop comparing yourself. It only hurts you. Those moments of "I'm not good enough" are purely in your head. You may not be the best at what you think you have to be the best at... But you're the best at something. And that something can be as simple as being the best at washing your own dishes, or as great as being the best actress in the musical. No matter how great it is, it's your best. And there's nothing you can do better than that. So accept your best, and use it to the best of your abilities!

Younger me, you have no idea that life will throw some really high hurdles in your path. But let me remind you of hurdle exercises: you go over some, under some, and around some. And yes, this can apply to your high school tantrums of "I can't wait to get out!" You'll get through.

You are such a spoiled brat. Everything is done your way! But I'll let you in on a secret: older B is still stubborn. My advice: train down your stubbornness for the sake of your older self!

But really, young B, you are enough. You are beautiful. You are smart. You are loved.

You could've been better... but I wouldn't trade the lessons I learned from you for anything.

Life awaits ya.

Love,
Older B ❤

No comments:

Post a Comment